Sorry for the hiatus, friends. I moved last week, and I have found it incredibly difficult to write anything even the least bit interesting when I’m completely surrounded by mountains of cardboard boxes. My living quarters, and consequently my life, have since become more organized, and I am back.
Today is the first day of August, and in celebration, today’s post is about firsts. Some of my favorite coworkers compiled a list of 8 questions about firsts I have experienced, and these are my stories.
- First date? I’m not entirely certain that this specific incidence was truly my first date, but it’s the earliest date-like event that I can remember. I was in 6th grade, and it was a Tuesday night, and I was meeting my then-boyfriend Peter, and our two friends Kendra and Steve. I had known Kendra for only a short while, and I met Peter through Steve. My mom powdered my nose and dropped me off at Panera. I ordered a You-Pick-Two: half of a turkey sandwich,and a cup of broccoli cheddar soup. It was a lovely evening. Kendra and Steve just celebrated their second wedding anniversary and the birth of their first child, a beautiful baby girl named Charlie Mae. Peter went on to marry a sweet woman named Alex, and they live here in Pittsburgh.
- First job? Technically, my first paid job was at Infinity Beads, my stepmom’s mom’s bead shop. But the first job I landed without a family connection was at Office Max. To this day, I still know nothing about electronics. But I do have a loyalty that won’t allow me to purchase anything from Staples. Ever.
- First kiss? Sophomore year, Homecoming, Dave Smith. My 14-year-old self was tormented to learn that he wasn’t the least bit interested. During our most recent conversation over a beer at our hometown bar, I learned that he is now an engineer for the Air Force.
- First screen name? Blondie3535. I’m embarrassed to type that.
- First big purchase I made with my own money? Bright blue Oakley sunglasses. I was probably in elementary or middle school, and I had saved up all my money to buy these sunglasses from the Sunglass Hut in Ocean City, Maryland on my family’s yearly summer vacation. I still have them.
- First tattoo? It was the summer after my freshman year of college. I was 18 and in the hippie phase of my life. Everything was peace, love, and happiness. So, I now have a treble clef that transitions into a peace sign and heart tattooed on my right hip. I have recently been coming up with designs to make this decision a little less embarrassing.
- First time I went to a strip club? Last winter, I went on a double date with our friends Carl and Becky. We had a delicious dinner, followed by some games at Dave & Buster’s. We were in the car deciding what to do next, when Becky (I think?) jokingly suggested that we go to a strip club. Before we knew it, we were walking into Blush, Pittsburgh’s Premier Strip Club. There wasn’t anything premier about it. There was only one girl that was even remotely pretty, and they had her caged (literally) in the back corner. Overall, it was a less-than-average experience. Interestingly, the four of us have not gone on another double date since then.
- First day of college? Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, PA. I cried when I left the house in the morning because I didn’t know when I would see my younger brothers next. I wore pale blue shorts, a black tshirt, and black Old Navy flip flops. The bottom fell out of the cardboard box that contained all of my bras and underwear. I concentrated very hard on not falling during the opening convocation ceremony. The campus was beautiful, the people were beautiful, and it was my very first day of freedom and independence. I only stayed for one year, but that school holds so many wonderful memories for me.
One final thought: When was the last time you did something for the first time?